J.A. Roby Cuisiniere SE / Cuisiniere LX Wood Cookstove
The Cuisiniere SE wood-fired cookstove is a redesign of the original Cuisiniere by J.A. Roby, with upgraded performance features, like the clean-burning EPA firebox! This classy and contemporary stove maintains warmth in your home and gives you the ability to cook your favorite foods, all in one efficient appliance. Also now available, the New Cuisiniere LX! The same grate features of the SE model but offers a black door with an inner chrome trim.
- Photos (25)
- Extended Info
- Videos (4)
- Add Review
The Cuisiniere by J.A. Roby has been an exciting wood-fired cookstove since Obadiah's first introduced it to the US market last year. Our hope was to provide a clean-burning wood cookstove for folks who live in areas where particulate is an issue. The original Cuisiniere was unique in that it was utilizing a clean-burning EPA firebox (The Tison) that was modified into a cookstove. Unfortunately, the Tison firebox design did not work well and some customers reported back to us that the oven would not heat effectively and cooking on top of the cooktop was difficult unless you had a raging fire that would cook you out of the kitchen. We pulled back from recommending this cookstove to folks who wanted something more than a great clean-burning heater. For those looking for a wood-burning stove that they could cook and bake in, we steered them to another model that would meet their needs better.
Today, we are pleased to announce that J.A. Roby took our suggestions seriously and made several changes to the design of the Cuisiniere Cookstove and has introduced phase 2 of this model. Looking carefully at the first edition compared to the second edition you can see it has the oven now on the right where the firebox used to be and the firebox is on the left where the oven used to be. Now the smoke travels across the underside of the cook-top and around the rear of the oven so it gets hotter faster and cooks more evenly. These improvements will make a huge difference in how well this Cuisiniere SE performs in our opinion. The first edition has been retired but some folks may still have some inventory around so we wanted to clarify what the differences are so you can make an informed decision if you’re researching the Cuisiniere for your home or retreat.
There is a bit of confusion now between the Cuisiniere and the Cuisiniere SE, which some folks think means "second edition" when in fact means "Special Edition", the Special Edition Cuisiniere is just that, a special edition only available to specialty hearth retailers like Obadiah's Woodstoves. These units are on legs instead of a pedestal and are also available with chrome doors. The firebox door is also square, not curved on top like the standard Cuisiniere Cookstove. Both models are available to Obadiah's so no worries, if you like the old style we can still get it in the new more efficient design that will cook, bake and heat better than the first edition.
The details of this new design are also aesthetically pleasing with a new chrome door option with chrome legs. The Cuisiniere SE looks classy instead of clunky. There are several other upgrades like a porcelain cook-top that can be added that helps keep the cook-top cleaner in case of boil overs or spills typically associated with cooking food on any stove. There is even a smaller version of the Cuisiniere that does not have an oven for those who want a smaller stove. Obadiah's hopes you will be pleased with these new upgrades and we look forward to serving all your wood cookstove needs with the largest inventory of wood cookstoves you will find anywhere. We are proud to partner with J.A. Roby in bringing you this wonderful line of fine stoves.
- Redesign upgrade of the original Cuisiniere model
- Food warmer
- Cast-iron doors
- Convection and radiant heating system
- Glass air-wash system
- Easy-access ash drawer
- Glazec oven
- Oven and warmer thermometers
- Low clearance to combustibles
- Fibre ceramic baffle
- Refractory fire brick lined firebox for better heat distribution
- Stainless steel secondary-air system to improve gas combustion
- UL / ULC tested & approved
- Outside air ready
- Available in your choice of chrome doors and legs OR black doors and legs
- EPA Exempt (learn more here)
- Washington State Approved (learn more here)
- Black enameled cast-iron cooking plate
- Decorative chrome and mirror top accent
- Decorative metallic and mirror top accent
|Specifications||J A Roby Cuisiniere SE|
|Overall Dimensions||50 3/8" W x 55" H x 28" D|
|Oven Dimensions||17" W x 14" H x 19-1/8" D|
|Warmer Dimensions||46-1/4″ W x 10″ H x 12″ D|
|Firebox Dimensions||19" W x 12-1/4" H x 19-3/4" D|
|Floor to Cooktop||31 3/4"|
|Center of Flue collar from rear of stove||6"|
|Center of Flue collar from right side of stove (measured facing the stove)||14"|
|Firebox Size||2.87 cubic ft|
|Maximum Log Length||19"|
|Recommended Chimney Height||12 ft|
|Baffle Material||Fibre Ceramic|
|Heat Output||Up to 95,000 BTU/hr|
|Heating Capacity||Up to 2,300 sq ft|
|Emissions Tested||B415.1-10 Certified|
|Safety Tested||UL 1482-7 and ULC STD S627.00|
|Minimum clearances to combustibles|
|Back (using double wall black stove pipe)||12"|
|Back (using single wall black stove pipe)||16 1/4"|
General Stove Installation Steps
1) Read the entire owner and installation manual before installing and using your stove.
2) Choose a spot where to install your cook stove. Read section about floor protection dimension, localisation of stove over the floor protection plate, and combustible material clearances. Once you have decided where to install the stove, mark the roof at the center of the chimney. To be sure that the vertical center of the chimney is set, then use a plumb line and mark the center on the floor.
3) Check if it possible to pass chimney without damaging the structural integrity of your house and if so, you will need to move the stove to a different location while keeping the minimum clearances in mind. If you can’t move the stove and have to cut through a beam, be sure to keep the structural integrity of your house by following State and National building code.
Note: This appliance has to be connected to 6 inches factory built chimney, HT UL 103 or CAN/ULC S629 compliant, or a 6 inch masonry chimney with a homologated sleeve inside.
4) Install the chimney following the manufacturer's instruction.
5) Put the stove directly on the floor, aligned vertically with the center of the chimney, and trace the side of the stove on the floor and remove it.
6) Trace the protection floor at 8 inches offset clearance from the side and the back of the stove and then trace the front offset clearance at 16 inches in US and 18 inches in Canada, from the front of the door opening.
7) Install the floor protection plate inside the last mark. (It must be non-combustible.)
8) Put the stove on the protection floor plate and respect the offset clearance set at step 6. Be sure to center the chimney with the flue collar. We recommend to attach the stove to the floor with the bolt in the slot made for the legs.
9) If you have an outside air inlet, you must use 4 inches of flexible aluminum pipe. The pipe must be sealed with thermal resistant sealant.
10) Install the chimney connector on the stove collar first and screw it with 3 screws, then continue with the next chimney connector section up to the chimney support collar. Always use 3 screws on each joint section.
· The single wall or double wall chimney connector must be 6 inches diameter and have a minimum thickness of 24 gauge.
· Do not use a galvanised steel chimney connector.
Cuisiniere SE Showroom view
Cuisiniere SE Wood Cookstove Front View
J.A. Roby LX Cuisiniere Wood Cookstove Black Door with Chrome Trim (Combo)
J.A. Roby Cuisiniere LX Wood Cookstove
J.A. Roby LX Cuisiniere Wood Cookstove Side View
Cuisiniere LX Wood Cookstove black door with inner chrome trim
Cuisiniere SE Wood Cookstove Corner View with Porcelain Cooktop
Cuisiniere SE Wood Cookstove Corner View with Porcelain Cooktop
Cuisiniere SE Wood Cookstove Close up Firebox
J.A. Roby Cuisiniere Wood Cookstove Firebox
Cuisiniere SE Wood Cookstove Open Oven and Firebox
Cuisiniere SE Cookstove Close up Porcelain Cooktop
J.A. Roby Cuisiniere Wood Cookstove Oven Door
Cuisiniere SE Cookstove Close-up Oven
Cuisiniere Wood Cookstove Oven Door
J.A. Roby Cuisiniere Wood Cookstove Oven
J.A. Roby Cuisiniere Wood Cookstove Pan Drawer Below Oven (used for storage)
J.A. Roby Cuisiniere Wood Cookstove Warming Oven
Cuisiniere Wood Cookstove Warming Oven
Cuisiniere SE Cookstove Side View
J.A. Roby Cuisiniere Wood Cookstove Top View with Cook Plate removed
J.A. Roby Cuisiniere Wood Cookstove Rear View
Cuisiniere SE Back View
|J.A. Roby Cuisiniere SE Wood Cookstove with Chrome Door and Legs||$5,699.00**|
|J.A. Roby Cuisiniere LX Wood Cookstove with Black Door & Inner Chrome Trim||$4,800.00**|
|J.A. Roby Cuisiniere SE Wood Cooktove with Black Door and Legs||$4,370.00**|
|Black Enameled Cast-Iron Cooking Plate||$230.00|
|Decorative Chrome and Mirror Top Accent||$565.00|
|Decorative Metallic and Mirror Top Accent||$350.00|
** Residential, curbside delivery via freight truck with a lift gate is included for shipping in the Continental U.S.A. (some exceptions may apply). Please inquire with our sales staff if you have specific shipping needs such as international, freight terminal and/or business deliveries or if you need a smaller truck size. Click here to see Obadiah's Shipping Terms.
Please call or email us today to order! One of our friendly sales consultants will help you on your way to great, home wood-fired cooking!
Be sure to check out our newly improved Cookstove Community website cookstoves.net; the best place online to connect with other cookstove users over stoves, self-sufficient living, alternative energy, and more! Take a look at our selection of videos, articles, and photos, and be sure to visit the forums to talk to like-minded folks from all over.
Pouring Water on an Oil Fire
Stove Delivery and What To Look For
Boss of the Swamp: Woodstove & Chimney Maintenance (Part 1)
Boss of the Swamp: Woodstove & Chimney Maintenance (Part 2)